How Do I Obtain a California Reseller’s Permit?

You do no need any kind of permit to purchase merchandise from Via Trading. We sell to individuals and business alike– the only restriction is that you must purchase wholesale (minimum order 1 case, pallet, load or truckload).

However, in order to resell merchandise legally in the state of California, you must have a reseller’s permit.

A reseller’s permit also allows you to purchase merchandise tax free (at the time of purchase) within California. Residents of California who do not have a reseller’s permit are subject to 9.75% Sales Tax at the time of purchase.

You must obtain a seller’s permit if you:

  • Are engaged in business in California
  • Intend to sell or lease tangible personal property that would ordinarily be subject to sales tax if sold at retail
  • Will make sales for temporary period, normally lasting no longer than 30 days at one or more locations (e.g. fireworks booth, Christmas tree lots, garage sale)

The requirement to obtain a seller’s permit applies to:

  • Individuals
  • Partnerships
  • Corporations
  • Organizations
  • Husband/wife Co-ownership
  • LLP’s
  • LLC’s

Both wholesalers and retailers must apply for a seller’s permit.

You can register in person for a reseller’s permit, and permits can usually be issued the same day.

You can also register by mail. You can obtain an application by calling 800-400-7115, or by visiting the California Board of Equilization at

Obtaining a reseller’s permit is free, easy and fast!

You can access all the phone numbers of the Board of Equilization offices in California by clicking here:

Register In Person

You may register for a seller’s permit in person at one of the Board of Equilzation’s field offices. Permits can usually be issued the same day and help in completing the application is available. Special information packets with the appropriate registration application for specific businesses are available.

Register by Mail

You can get an application for a seller’s permit mailed to you by calling 800-400-7115. If you are calling from outside of the 48 contiguous states, please call 916-445-6362.

Representatives are available to assist you with permit questions Monday through Friday (except State holidays) from 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. A registration packet will be mailed to you within 24 hours. You will generally receive your permit approximately two weeks after we have received your completed application. Incomplete applications may delay the process.

From TDD phones: 800-735-2929
From voice phones: 800-735-2922

Applications Available On-Line

BOE 400 SPA, Seller’s Permit Application is available for printing from the Board of Equilzation website. The completed application can be delivered in person or mailed to any of their field offices.

Additional information is available on the tax rules for specific business, types of sales, or charges associated with sales for a number of businesses. The regulations relating to sales and use tax are also available.

Information above collected from the California Board of Equilization Website ( Copyright 2006 State of California

One Response to “How Do I Obtain a California Reseller’s Permit?”

  1. Hey there everyone i was just introduceing myself here im a first time visitor who hopes to become a daily reader!

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.